Gensokyo
Please login or register!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Gensokyo
Please login or register!
Gensokyo
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Dead Space Adventure

Gensokyo :: Gaming :: PS3 :: TPS games

Go down

A Dead Space Adventure Empty A Dead Space Adventure

Post by kst933 Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:56 pm

Yeah... the first time I've ever played Dead Space was today and it was the demo of the second game. I already know about the story of the first one and I'm not exactly best friends with survival horror so screw it! I'm not playing that >.>

But I did make it through the demo. Probably because I watched walkthroughs of it on YouTube which made it pretty pointless. Nevertheless, I was still paranoid as hell because I'm just like that lol. Anyway, I'm just going to talk about the little journey through the short demo.

So, the demo begins with setting up the brightness and picking your difficulty. They only have Normal. No biggie. Then the intro starts with who I believe to have voiced Dr. Kyne from Dead Space 1 as the narrator. It's a synopsis of the events leading up to Dead Space 2.

He talks about how us, the humans, ventured into space to search for resources after Earth was practically drained from it. When many planets were already "cracked" open and their resources used up, the ships went to Aegis 7, a planet that had been restricted from cracking. It is here that they find the Red Marker and it was taken to the colony. Removing the Marker had been a bad idea; it unleashed an infection of sorts, Necromorphs born from the bodies of the deceased. Survivors fled to the USG Ishimura, the planet cracker at that colony. They carried the Necromorphs with them and it only took hours before the entire ship went dark.

Soon enough, a crew was dispatched to answer the Ishimura's distress signal. No reply. They head onboard to investigate what was going on. Part of the crew was Isaac Clarke, an engineer. The Necromorphs lead their attack and Isaac embarks on various missions provided by Kendra and Hammond to try to find a way to escape. Along the way, he encounters Dr. Mercer, an insane scientist, and Dr. Kyne, a new ally. Betrayal and death paves the path along the way. His girlfriend, Nicole, guides him along and makes him return the Marker back to its pedestal. Kyne had that plan too but he had died before the mission could be accomplished.

In the end, the Marker had been the one creating an apparition of Nicole, for she had committed suicide aboard the Ishimura. This Marker was no alien artifact or holy relic, it was in fact, a weapon made by the hands of man. The Hive Mind, a highly advanced form of Necromorph had controlled the other Necromorphs and it could only be put dormant by having the Marker on its pedestal... or through death. Isaac Clarke killed it and escaped from the colony.

Three years later, he is on the Sprawl, a city founded on the remnants of Saturn's moon Titan. He was confined in a mental hospital after suffering from severe trauma. But this was not the time frame where Dead Space 2's demo began. No, it started in one of the later levels...

Isaac was standing at the top of a flight of stairs leading down to a mysterious door. The hallway was ornately decorated with various colors and designs. He carries four guns: the Plasma Cutter, the Pulse Rifle, the Line Gun, and the Javelin. After descending, the door opens up to a corridor. It's cold, it must be a refrigerator for experiments since there are tubes on the wall. Some of them are broken. The first chamber or two were empty, devoid of any hostile lifeforms. The next, the screen bursts into orange light and decayed, screaming bodies explode from the experimental tubes. Isaac fires at them but to no avail. But then the screen returns to normal. Nothing had happened? No, nothing did, it was only a hallucination.

Not too far away, a Necromorph bursts out and lands in front of Isaac. It's not a Slasher though, it's one of the newly introduced kind. It was a Puker. The Puker slightly resembled the regenerators in Resident Evil 4 except its front lower body was rotted away and it didn't have the creepy breathing. It tries to, of course, puke at Isaac. A shot to each leg and an arm finished the beast. The next chamber was far more busier. Slashers and Pukers popped out and you were only lucky to not be surrounded if you didn't run ahead too far. Near the door, three bodies lay in front of it. One appears to be a Slasher while the other two, mutilated bodies of humans. Approach carefully, traveler, if you are not familiar with the games these Necromorphs play.

After that, you arrive at a large chamber. Your escape route is high above you. Isaac takes a lift below and hacks a small terminal. A little Kinesis puzzle and zero gravity is activated. Unlike the first game, you can float. Some Stasis on a fan allows you to pass through and you ascend to the ceiling. Avoid an experimental tube and you reach the next level. Isaac lands onto the catwalk and gravity is restored. The next small room contains a store where he upgrades into the badass Advanced Suit. An elevator takes Isaac to another level. He steps out into a fancy corridor with the ornate carvings. Advance further and you enter an enormous room. It doesn't take long for you to realize you are inside a church for Unitology. The strange markings and Marker sculptures give it away. Take a few more steps and a giant Necromorph pins Isaac to the ground, the yellow orb on its slashing tongue glowing prominently.

Round after round goes into that orb and finally the creature flees. But that's not the end. It never is the end. A small Necromorph approaches and calls upon its brethren. Next thing you know, a swarm (they're called the Pack for a reason) of similar Necromorphs charge. They aren't difficult to kill but their numbers keep you from picking them off one by one. Only a moment to rest until a Slasher charges at you from the dark area under the staircase after the initial slaughter. Head up the stairs and a strange gurgling sound is heard. Down that hallway from the staircase is an Exploder. But he's slow due to his volatile arm and a few shots to it shatters his body. Continue down and a few Slashers try to be sneaky and burst from the glass windows but they're easy to dispatch. You reach a door standing on the wall but what's this? A health pack sits on the balcony overhanging the area you fought the Pack.

Isaac picks it up but a Slasher has scrambled up onto the balcony from below. Pick him off and you go through the door where a strange Necromorph is on the ground, attempting to attack. Once finished, an elevator sits at the end and you take a ride. It seems so long but that's just your paranoia, right? It isn't long once that Slasher jumps down from above and tries to kill you in that tiny cramped space. The door opens again as you reach your level.

A little atrium of sorts is there with a window to your left overlooking the Sprawl. Continue on your way and you reach a larger room with panels on the floor and a larger set of windows. The moment Isaac walks in, a ship flies up and starts firing. Isaac is almost sucked out due to the vacuum but he manages to pull himself into a vent. After a long drop, he gets back up onto his knees on a bloody floor. The blood isn't his. The camera then shifts up as Isaac looks up. What appears to be a very large Brute roars in his face.

That is Dead Space 2.

Last edited by Lady_Scout on Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
kst933
kst933

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

A Dead Space Adventure Empty Re: A Dead Space Adventure

Post by kst933 Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:30 pm

Personal experiences ._."

Honestly, I admit my dad was playing this at first lol. He got owned by the Pukers and Slashers at the beginning but then he had stuff to do Sad

So I decided to finish up the demo. Er, he didn't really listen to what I said about dismemberment so he kept shooting at their stomachs. I did know so I survived the whole thing... somehow. I ran out of Plasma Energy at the church place which sucked and my Pulse Rifle ammo was kinda low. So in the end, I had to stick with the new weapon, the Javelin. The shop didn't have anything else besides the suit to purchase, apparently.

The Pack killed me a couple of time due to ammo problems and not having time to reload. Otherwise, I did quite okay for a first time. It looked like the first Dead Space Necromorphs were a lot harder to kill or maybe because the guy I watched was playing it on hard? I don't know! You tell me.

My paranoia did make me jump a few times despite the fact I knew what was going to happen. If you already didn't know, I had a secret ambition to hug Isaac lol. The poor guy went through so much and his head isn't completely right now! Sad

So, playing the demo did let me hug him, finally lol. I also owned that Slasher in the elevator. Stasis + melee = epic slap fest XD

Me: Shoot his arms and legs off!

*Necromorph dies*

Dad as Isaac: *stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp* Yaaaaaaaaaaaay

Me: You're having way to much fun with that ._.

The game doesn't seem to feel very confined so most Dead Space 1 fans might not like that as much. However, I think it makes sense because you're in a city now and it follows the storyline. Nevertheless, I had fun with the demo lol.

Oh, and is it sad if I have a Helghast and Unitology font downloaded on my computer? ._.
kst933
kst933

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down